New Year, Same but Slightly Improved Me

I've been inspired a lot by love lately which is ironic since it is usually the last thing on my mind. I think love is what the world needs more of right now though and I'm not just talking about you and me love. I'm talking about the kind of we love that we all need; between friends, between family, between strangers. It's a new year and while I've managed to look on the bright side of things for the whole two days it's been 2017, I thought it would be nice to leave a marker to look back on when those feelings start to fade. A new year is not for a "new me". Life is not so black and white. Sure, we change but we change constantly. It's recently been pointed out to me that the you that was an hour ago isn't even the same you, you are in the present. The new year is for learning and yearning and achieving. It's for fitting into old jeans and listening to new songs. The new year is for meeting new people but making time for old friends. This year is for bringing the good ideas for good times and reflecting on the bad ones. This year is for building on a foundation you have already laid. 

I also don't believe a New Year is the only way to reflect on the passage of time. Perhaps your "New Year" starts two months from now or on your birthday or on the day the flowers bloom. Break through those labels! However, there was a lot of relief as we crossed over into 2017 and a lot of anticipation as to what is to come. We all woke up to start January and were hit with the unfortunate reality that much of the world is still broken. However, if we want to look back in a year and see how much we've risen, we have to start now. Forget competition, the world has plenty of space. Pour your love and good ideas, your happiness and your hope wherever you can, as much as you can. Lift others up and give yourself a break when you need one. DREAM BIG. The more of us that succeed, the more of us that turn around and bring others up with us, well then the more of us that can enjoy the view of a beautiful world.

Here's to working hard and getting farther.

Love,
E

Comments

  1. I completely agree with you on all of this, I'm already finding myself trying to live upto the 'New year new me' expectations and it's totally not working. So i will be listening to your advice! I would love if you could check out my blog please, it would mean so so much xx
    https://deardimitri.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so appreciate that, thank you for taking the time to read this and be my first comment! It isn't easy just to complete do a 180 and after reading your blog, I can see you've been through a lot. I think you are incredibly brave and a good writer. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment